Ricotta and Summer Berry Parfaits – so simple and such a crowd pleaser. The perfect finish to a summer meal with friends, especially with fresh ricotta cheese.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks and softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 4 cups mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios (for garnish)
- Mint leaves (for garnish)
1 Make the ricotta cream: Combine the cream cheese, honey, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and vanilla in a mixing bowl, and beat with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Beat in the ricotta until smooth.
2 Glaze the berries: Use a spatula to push the jam through a fine mesh strainer into a small mixing bowl; this will remove any tiny seeds in the jam. Add the remaining1 tablespoon of the lemon juice to the strained jam and mix until smooth. Add the berries and stir to coat them.
3 Assemble the parfaits: Into four dessert glasses or bowls, layer 1 to 2 tablespoon of the berries and 2 to 3 tablespoons ricotta mixture. Repeat, ending with berries on top. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios, and garnish with mint leaves.
The fruit and ricotta can be layered into dishes and refrigerated for up to a day. Sprinkle with pistachios and mint until just before serving.