Recipe adapted from Donna Hay Magazine.
- 1 pound garnet sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large shallots, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds (or ground cumin)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt (Greek or regular, omit for paleo version)
1 Preheat oven to 450°F.
2 Prepare the sweet potatoes: Place sweet potato cubes and shallots in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt, thyme, and cumin. Toss so all pieces are well coated with olive oil and seasonings.
3 Roast the sweet potatoes: Spread the sweet potatoes and shallots out on a foil or silicone lined baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes or until cooked through and nicely caramelized and browned around the edges. Remove from oven.
4 While the sweet potatoes are roasting, heat chicken stock in a saucepan on the stovetop until steamy.
5 Blend the sweet potatoes: Place the cooked sweet potatoes and shallots in a blender and add the hot chicken stock. Purée until smooth.
NOTE: when blending hot liquids, fill the blender bowl no more than a third full, and start with short pulses. So, depending on the size of your blender you may need to work in batches. Or use an immersion blender.
5 Serve: Taste for seasoning, add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream (if using). Leftovers will keep for about a week, or freeze for up to three months.