Salt and chill the salmon fillet first, before prepping the other ingredients.
- 1 lb salmon fillet, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt for the rub
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt for the poaching liquid
- 1 slice of lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp of capers (strain out the pickling juice)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Salt the salmon fillets: Rub the salmon fillets all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator while you prep the other ingredients.
2 Combine celery, red onion, capers, lemon zest and juice, dill, olive oil, black pepper in a large bowl. Set aside for the flavors to blend.
3 Poach the salmon: Put 4 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and a slice of lemon in a pot wide enough to hold the salmon. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Add the salmon to the pot. Return to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes at a bare simmer.
When the salmon is just cooked through, remove it from poaching liquid and put it in a bowl. Drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of lemon juice.
Once it has cooled to touch, break the salmon gently into chunks.
4 Combine with celery red onion mixture: Add the salmon to the bowl with the celery, onions, and capers and gently toss to combine.