Salt and chill the salmon fillet first, before prepping the other ingredients.
For the salmon:
- 1 pound salmon fillet, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (for the rub)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (for the poaching liquid)
- 1 lemon slice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers (strain out the pickling juice)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Prep the salmon fillets: Rub the salmon fillets all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator while you prep the other ingredients.
2 Make the dressing: Combine celery, red onion, capers, lemon zest and juice, dill, olive oil, black pepper in a large bowl. Set aside for the flavors to blend.
3 Poach the salmon: Put 4 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and a slice of lemon in a pot wide enough to hold the salmon. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the salmon to the pot. Return to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes at a bare simmer.
4 Cool and break up the salmon: When the salmon is just cooked through, remove it from poaching liquid and put it in a bowl. Drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Once it has cooled to touch, break the salmon gently into chunks.
5 Make the salad: Add the salmon to the bowl with the celery, onions, and capers. Gently toss to combine. Serve as is, or over mixed greens or butter lettuce.