Savory cherry chutney-like compote made with fresh cherries, walnuts, shallots, rosemary, honey, and Port, perfect with pork, chicken, or duck.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots (can sub red onion)
- 2 1/2 cups pitted sweet cherries, quartered
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Port, red wine, kirsch, cassis, or cherry juice (or water)
- 1 tablespoon honey
1 Cook the shallots: Heat the olive oil in a pan in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the shallots and cook them until they just begin to color on the edges, about 2-3 minutes. Stir a few times while they’re cooking.
2 Add the walnuts, rosemary and cherries and stir everything to combine. Turn the heat down to medium and cook until the cherries are soft, about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little black pepper and taste for salt.
3 Pour in the Port, wine, kirsch or cassis and the honey, and stir again. Boil this down slowly until the softening cherries and the liquid cook down to a syrupy texture.