Ahi tuna, also known as yellowfin tuna, marinated in sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, green onion, and lime juice, then pan seared.
- 2 (6-8 ounce) ahi tuna steaks (3/4 of an inch thick)
For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or 2 teaspoons of wheat-free tamari for gluten-free option)
- 1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green onion (scallion) thinly sliced (a few slices reserved for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
1 Marinate the tuna steaks: Mix the marinade ingredients together and coat the tuna steaks with the marinade, cover tightly, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
2 Sear the tuna: Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high to high heat. When the pan is hot, remove the tuna steaks from the marinade and sear them for a minute to a minute and a half on each side ( even a little longer if you want the tuna less rare than pictured.)
3 Slice and serve: Remove from pan and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices. Sprinkle with a few green onion slices.