Add some thinly sliced basil as an option, Thai basil or Vietnamese basil works best, though regular Italian basil works too!
- 2 medium sized cucumbers (about 1 lb total)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons toasted (dark) sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 6 basil leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1 Peel the cucumbers. Cut them into quarters, lengthwise. (If the seeds are bitter, scrape out the seeds and discard.) Cut the cucumbers again, crosswise, into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
2 Place cucumbers into a serving bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Toss with sesame oil, seasoned rice vinegar, basil (if using), and chili flakes. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds if using.