When I announced I was making a fennel Parmesan salad, my father remarked something to the effect, "That sounds like something for 'ladies who lunch'." It does, doesn't it?
It may seem like an odd idea to put Parmesan alongside fennel, but it's actually quite good. The cheese perfectly complements the slight licorice hint of the fennel.
Thyme and parsley provide the accents along with a simple olive oil and lemon dressing.
Shaved Fennel Salad
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved paper thin with a mandoline or meat slicer
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leafed parsley
- 2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
In a medium bowl add shaved fennel, olive oil, lemon juice, thyme leaves, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Gently toss all of the ingredients together.
Fennel Slaw with Mint Vinaigrette here on Simply Recipes
Shaved Fennel Salad on 101 Cookbooks
Fennel Salad with Walnuts and Avocado from Love & Lemons