If using frozen shrimp, defrost safely by placing in a bowl of ice water. When defrosted, strain.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 to 4 Tbsp of lemon juice (2 if regular lemon, 4 if Meyer lemon), more to taste
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 pound cooked, shelled, small pink shrimp (salad shrimp)
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, including the greens
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco or Crystal hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Beat cream cheese and mayo, add lemon: In a medium bowl beat together the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat until smooth (you may need to use a whisk.)
2 Pulse shrimp with cream cheese mixture: If you have a food processor, pulse together the shrimp and the cream cheese mixture, three 1-second pulses. If not, or if you just don't want to deal with the food processor, chop up the shrimp—fine to medium chop—and mix into the cream cheese.
3 Add scallions, parsley, hot sauce, pepper: Return to the bowl and stir in the scallions and parsley. Add the hot sauce and black pepper to taste. Add more lemon juice to taste.
Keep chilled. Serve with crackers or crudité.