This slow cooker taco soup with ground beef is so easy — and SO GOOD! It's perfect for busy weeks with flexible cooking times for any schedule. Serve with tortilla chips, cilantro-lime rice, or cornbread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (450g) lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) diced yellow or red onions
- 2 to 3 cups (475ml to 710ml) chicken or beef broth (use more if you want a thinner soup)
- 1 15-oz. (425g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. (425g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. (425g) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4-oz. (115g) can chopped green chiles
- 1 1/4 cups (135g) corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Finely diced red onion
- Lime juice
- Chopped red onions
- 4-quart or larger slow cooker
1 Brown the beef with the onions (can be done a day or two ahead): Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add beef and onions and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until the ground beef is browned but not completely cooked and the onions are starting to look soft around the edges. Use your spatula to break up the ground beef into smaller pieces as it cooks. Remove from heat and use immediately, or refrigerate for a day or two until needed.
2 Combine and cook: Combine the browned beef, onions and the remaining soup ingredients in a slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. It's fine if the soup cooks a little longer or the slow cooker switches to the "warm" setting.
3 Serve the soup: Serve soup in bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro, red onion and lime juice.
This soup will keep refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months.