This recipe can easily be halved or doubled.
While the pasta water is heating, prep the other ingredients.
- 1 pound of dry penne rigati, gemelli, fusilli, or other short-cut pasta, or a combination
- Salt for the pasta water
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 ounce smoked salmon, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (scallions)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of dried dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 Cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (use a tablespoon of salt for every 2 quarts of water). Add the pasta. Cook uncovered, at a rolling boil until al dente, or tender, but still a bit firm.
Drain and rinse under cold water. (If you are making the pasta ahead of time, stir in a little olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking to each other.)
Note that if you are using different kinds of pasta, you may want to cook them separately as different types of pasta cook at different rates.
2 Stir in the rest of the ingredients, adjusting the amounts of mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.