I make a great pie crust, my father, a killer meatloaf. My mother? She’s the queen of salads. When the three of us cook together, mom almost always gets salad duty, because she just does it so darn well. She has perfected the balance of sweet and acidity, salt, and bitter.
This particular coleslaw of hers is one of my favorites. The coleslaw is made with cabbage, carrots, green onions, and cilantro, and seasoned with rice vinegar. No mayo!
No Mayo Coleslaw RecipePrint
If the seasoned rice vinegar adds too much sweetness for your taste, sprinkle in a little lemon juice. If you are using unsweetened rice vinegar, to get the right balance of acidity and sweet, sprinkle a little sugar over the salad and toss.
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 1/3 to 1/2 cabbage)*
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (or plain rice vinegar with added sugar to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
* a mandoline will make slicing cabbage much much easier than using a knife.
Place the thinly sliced cabbage, grated carrot, radish slices, sliced green onions, and cilantro in a large serving bowl.
Right before serving, sprinkle with olive oil, rice vinegar, salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to No Mayo Coleslaw on Simply Recipes. Thank you!Print