I make a great pie crust. My father, a killer meatloaf. My mother? She's the queen of salads. When the three of us cook together, mom almost always gets salad duty, because she just does it so darn well. She has perfected the balance of sweet and acidity, salt, and bitter.
No Mayo Coleslaw
This particular coleslaw of my mother's is one of my favorites and has a southwestern touch. The coleslaw is made with cabbage, carrots, green onions, and cilantro, and seasoned with rice vinegar. No mayo!
It's light, cool, and crunchy, just what you want a coleslaw to be.
The ingredients for this salad can be prepped a day or two ahead of time. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge and toss with the dressing ingredients when ready to serve.
Leftovers will keep for a few days in the fridge, but the coleslaw will become more wilted and watery over time.
What to Serve With This Coleslaw
Try These Other Coleslaw Recipes
- Asian Coleslaw
- Broccoli Slaw with Cranberry Orange Dressing
- Classic Coleslaw
- Fennel Slaw with Mint Vinaigrette
- Cabbage and Kale Slaw with Caraway Ranch Dressing
No Mayo Coleslaw
A mandoline will make slicing cabbage much much easier than using a knife.
If the seasoned rice vinegar adds too much sweetness for your taste, add a sprinkle of lemon juice. If you are using unsweetened rice vinegar, to get the right balance of acidity and sweet, sprinkle a little sugar over the salad and toss.
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 1/3 to 1/2 cabbage)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar (or plain rice vinegar with added sugar to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Assemble the salad:
Place the thinly sliced cabbage, grated carrot, radish slices, sliced green onions, and cilantro in a large serving bowl.
Toss with dressing and serve:
Right before serving, sprinkle with olive oil, rice vinegar, salt and pepper, and toss to coat.