You can substitute any hard winter squash or carrots for the pumpkin.
To grate the pumpkin, cut it into large pieces, scoop out the seeds, and grate the flesh on a box grater until you hit the skin. Alternatively, you can cut away the skin and grate in a food processor.
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed chili flakes (I used chipotle chili flakes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil, melted ghee, or melted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 packed cup grated raw sugar or pie pumpkin (avoid jack-o-lantern pumpkins)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cups toasted pepitas or pumpkin seeds (divided)
1 Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with muffin papers
2 Sift together the dry ingredients: Sift together the almond flour, tapioca starch, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt. I like to sift at least twice with Paleo baked goods to make sure there are no clumps and everything is well-mixed.
3 Mix together the wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then whisk in the oil, honey, and vinegar.
4 Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix gently until combined.
5 Gently stir in the grated pumpkin, bell pepper, onion, and 1/2 cup of pepitas. Save the rest of the pepitas for topping. Rest the batter for at least 10 minutes so that the flours can hydrate.
6 Fill each muffin wells up to the top. Top each muffin with a few of the remaining 1/4 cup of pepitas.
7 Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. When done, the muffins should look toasted around the edges, be dry on top, and a toothpick inserted in the middle will come out clean.
8 Cool and serve (or store): Transfer the muffins to a cooling rack. Cool briefly before serving, or cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days (or refrigerate for up to a week).