Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site. Thanks for waiting. First time commenting? Please review the Comment Policy.
This was scrumptious! I was excited to find a meal that had all my garden abundance in one recipe! I didn’t have cauliflower, so I served over Quinoa. Also, sadly my avocado & pea greens were too far gone to use. The flavorful sweet potatoes melted in my mouth with the broth- which is tastier as a sum than the parts suggest they would be.
Approximately how much ‘rice’ does 2 heads of cauliflower make? I have a couple of very large heads and was wondering if 1 would suffice.
Hi, Linda! I’d estimate about 8 cups of cauliflower rice — 1 or so cups per serving. Enjoy!
I made the Sustenance stew last night for myself and two family members. We all thought it was delicious. I used bagged cauliflower rice that I found at our local Publix grocery. The dish came together easy enough despite all the chopping. I always feel confident trying new recipes on friends when I use the Simply Recipe site.
We made this for the first time and it was delicious. Company worthy for vegetarians and carnivores. As noted previously in the comments, we will add more ginger next time. We did not have swiss chard but used red chard (same thing?). Any way to know the nutritional value of this recipe? Thanks, Simply Recipes, for another great recipe!
Hi, Eleanore! So glad you liked the recipe! And yes, red chard and swiss chard can be used interchangeably. For nutritional info, I suggest using a calculator like this one: https://www.verywellfit.com/recipe-nutrition-analyzer-4157076. Thanks!
Made this tonight. It’s a keeper, but a few notes.
1. This takes longer than 30 minutes. Maybe longer than an hour if you whack up all the veg before starting, like I did. That makes a more relaxed cooking sequence.
2. Do not discard the chard stems. Whack them up like celery and sauté with the onions. Yum.
3. I used more ginger, maybe twice as much. It was good.
4. We used brown rice instead of making the cauliflower “rice”. I’ll take the time to make that some other evening. Or weekend.
5. I found a perfectly ripe avocado, but just couldn’t taste it on top of the stew. I’ll probably skip that next time.
6. I used chicken stock because we’re not vegetarian and because vegetable stock is just not stock.
7. I don’t know what kind of blender they have, but ours doesn’t hold two cans of tomatoes and three cups of stock. I bought diced tomatoes instead of whole and blended one can with one cup of stock and the ginger and red pepper. The other can of diced tomatoes and the rest of the stock went straight into the pot.
This was delicious! The almond butter really took it over the top – thank you!
Made this and thought I’d add that this was delicious and very hearty for a veggie-only dish. I did make the cauliflower rice and will say that this step added a lot of time (plus little pieces of cauliflower on my floor). It’s tasty, but to save time, I might use rice or quinoa next time. Thanks!
Delicious! I made it with Israeli couscous – so good!
I can’t eat tomatoes. Do you have any suggestions for a substitution? This looks amazing and I can’t wait to give it a try.
Beth, can you have red peppers? I think roasted red peppers (store-bought, from a jar), plus some extra vegetable stock, would be a great substitute for the tomatoes and juices. If red peppers are off the list too, then I’d probably just skip them altogether and make the soup without them! I think it would still be a great meal.
At a glance, it’s clear that the almond butter is the pivotal ingredient in this recipe. Since I love it, this caught my attention. My doctor just asked me to go on a plant-based diet for a month to lower my slightly elevated cholesterol levels, so I’m on the lookout for recipes like this one This is very timely and I can’t wait to try it. Thanks! Looks delicious. Glad to add this to my culinary arsenal.
I made it last night and this stew is delicious. The star ingredient is the almond butter — never thought of adding it to stew, but it makes it so creamy and delicious. Next time I’ll add even more.
Yum! This looks so hearty and healthy
Yum! Adding required stuff to my grocery list. Looks amazing. And I appreciate the vegan recipes. :)
Delicious recipe!! Happy new year :)