Sweet potatoes cooked and mashed with onions, mint, cilantro, garlic, and olive oil. Puerto Rican boniato recipe.
- 3 pounds light yellow sweet potatoes (boniato if you can get them), peeled, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup (or more) water
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves, packed, (about 30-40 leaves)
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Roast the sweet potatoes: Rub olive oil all over the sweet potato pieces, sprinkle lightly with salt, and put them in a roasting pan, cook at 425°F for 40 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned and a fork easily pierces through the pieces.
2 Mash the sweet potatoes, add water: Place cooked sweet potato pieces in a large bowl, add olive oil, mash with a potato masher until completely mashed. Slowly add water, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sweet potatoes reach desired consistency.
3 Stir in the onions, garlic, mint, and cilantro. Stir in vanilla extract. Add more salt, and maybe a little sugar if you want, to taste.