Stretch this recipe to serve more people by doubling the amount of noodles.
This also makes a great dinner salad topped with cooked chicken, shrimp, or tofu.
For the salad:
- 1 small head (about 2 cups) romaine lettuce
- 1/4 head (about 2 cups) red cabbage
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large carrot (about 1/2 cup), shredded
- 1 mango
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup green onions, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces (227 grams) pad Thai rice noodles
For the peanut dressing (makes 3/4 cup):
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha, or chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Cook the rice noodles: Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add rice noodles, stirring occasionally, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
2 Drain and cool the noodles: Transfer to a colander, drain, and rinse with cool water until noodles are cold. Allow to drain well until ready to add to the salad. If noodles stick together, rinse them in cool water to separate.
3 Slice the ingredients: While the water is coming to a boil, and while the noodles cook and cool, prepare the vegetables.
Put a large serving bowl nearby and add each element to the bowl as you slice or chop it.
- Cut the romaine lettuce into 1/4-inch thin strips the short way.
- Cut the cabbage into 1/4-inch thin strips.
- Thinly slice the bell pepper.
- Shred the carrot. You want about 1/2 cup of shredded carrot.
- Peel the mango and cut it into slices an 1/8-inch thick.
- Chop the cilantro. Thinly slice the green onions.
- Roughly chop the roasted peanuts.
4 Make the peanut dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, lime juice, water, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, fish sauce, sriracha, ginger, and garlic until smooth.
5 Combine the salad: Add the rice noodles to the bowl with the vegetables, herbs, and peanuts. Pour half of the dressing over the salad.
6 Serve: Garnish salad with additional cilantro leaves, green onions, and chopped peanuts. Serve the remaining dressing on the side.