Feel free to use any tender white fish fillet with this recipe, for example cod or red snapper.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, 1/4 inch slices, sliced lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 3/4 cup green pimento-stuffed olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tilapia fillets (6 to 8 ounces each)
1 Cook the onions and garlic: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute more.
3 Make the sauce: Add the canned tomatoes and their juices. Add the sliced mushrooms, chopped olives, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
4 Add the fish: Lay the fish fillets gently on top of the onion tomato olive mixture and spread a little sauce over the fish.
Return to a simmer (it's just the juices from the tomatoes that are simmering). Lower the heat to low and cover the pan.
Cook or 8 to 10 minutes or until the fish easily flakes when tested with a fork.
4 Serve: Use a wide spatula to lift the fillets from the pan to a serving plate. Spoon sauce over fish.
Serve with rice, and/or crusty bread.