Family favorite tuna macaroni salad, made with canned tuna, elbow macaroni pasta, bell peppers, parsley, green onion, iceberg lettuce, and mayonnaise. This tuna macaroni salad is so simple, yet so delicious. A must-have for potlucks, BBQ's or any family gathering.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion, including green onion greens
- 1 cup chopped red, orange, or yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 (5 oz) cans of tuna, packed in olive oil (do not drain), or if you get tuna packed in water, drain the water out and add 2-3 Tbsp olive oil.
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4-1/3 a head of lettuce (preferably iceberg lettuce), sliced first and roughly chopped into 2 inch long strips
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (we use sweet Hungarian)
- Fresh ground pepper
1 Cook the macaroni pasta: In a saucepan, add 1 cup of elbow macaroni to 1 quart of boiling water with an added teaspoon of salt.
Cook at a rolling boil uncovered for about 10 minutes until the macaroni is just a little more cooked than al dente.
When ready, remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water.
2 Prep and chop other ingredients: While the macaroni is cooking, assemble the other ingredients. In a large bowl mix the green onion, bell peppers, parsley, tuna, celery and lemon.
3 Add the cooked macaroni, mayo, paprika, and pepper: Add the cooked and drained macaroni. Fold in the mayonnaise until well mixed. Add the paprika. Add fresh ground pepper to taste. At this point you can make ahead and chill.
4 When ready to serve, gently fold in the lettuce. The salad does not make good leftovers as the lettuce will eventually get soggy.