To save time, prep the ingredients and start on the onions and peppers while the quinoa is cooking.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups shredded, chopped cooked turkey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (chipotle chili powder if available), less or more to taste
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided 2 cups and 1 cup
1 Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Typically package directions ask you to put 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt into a pot, bringing it to a boil, reduce to a very low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Then remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
2 Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the onions and the bell peppers and cook until softened and browned at the edges, about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, and corn, and cook a minute more. Remove from heat.
3 Place the cooked quinoa, black beans, onion mixture, cilantro, 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese, and cooked turkey in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
4 Place in a casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and bake at 350°F uncovered for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.