To save time, prep the ingredients and start on the onions and peppers while the quinoa is cooking.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups shredded, chopped cooked turkey
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (chipotle chili powder if available), less or more to taste
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided 2 cups and 1 cup
1 Cook the quinoa: Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Typically package directions ask you to put 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt into a pot, bringing it to a boil, reduce to a very low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Then remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
2 Cook peppers and onions: Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the onions and the bell peppers and cook until softened and browned at the edges, about 10 minutes.
3 Add garlic, spices, corn: Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, and corn, and cook a minute more. Remove from heat.
4 Place the cooked quinoa, black beans, onion mixture, cilantro, 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese, and cooked turkey in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
5 Top with cheese and bake: Place in a casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and bake at 350°F uncovered for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.