A traditional winter pesto made from parsley and walnuts instead of basil and pine nuts.
- 1 cup shelled walnuts, about 3 1/2 ounces
- 2 cups chopped parsley, about 1 bunch
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Put the walnuts, parsley, cheese, garlic, and salt in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then pulse again.
2 Drizzle in the olive oil while the machine is running just long enough to incorporate the oil, about 20-30 seconds.
Use immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to store. Will last several days chilled.
Use with pasta or as a spread on bread or toast.