Individual chiles vary in their heat, so always taste before adding to a dish, and adjust amounts accordingly.
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup lime juice (2-3 limes, depending on how big and juicy the limes are)
- 4 cups watermelon, rind removed, seeded and cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped peeled jicama
- 1/2 serrano chili pepper (or a quarter jalapeño), stem removed, seeded, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Pinch of cumin, to taste
1 Soak the chopped red onion in the lime juice while you are prepping the other ingredients, about 10 minutes.
2 Gently combine all ingredients into a large serving bowl.
Serve immediately. Salad will get soggy if kept overnight.