This recipe calls for cooked chicken breast. If you don't have any on hand, poach two chicken breasts in the chicken broth before beginning the recipe.
For the broth:
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, including some of the green part
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces button, cremini, or shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups thinly shredded Napa cabbage, spinach, kale, or other greens
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth, store-bought or homemade
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, optional
- Lime wedges, optional
For the soup:
- 4 large eggs
- 20 ounces fresh ramen noodles, or 12 ounces dried noodles
- 2 medium cooked chicken breast halves, sliced
For the garnish:
- Soy sauce
- Sriracha or other hot sauce
- Handful fresh cilantro, leaves removed from stems
- Lime wedges
1 Make the broth: In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the scallions, garlic, carrot, mushrooms, and cabbage. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes, or until the vegetables soften.
Stir in the ginger and brown sugar and cook for 30 seconds. Finally add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
2 Cook the eggs: While the broth is simmering, bring a pot of water to a boil. Set a bowl of cold ice water nearby.
Use a slotted spoon to gently lower the eggs, still in the shell, into the water. Simmer for 7 minutes for eggs that are soft and a little runny in the center, or 9 minutes for hard-boiled eggs.
Transfer the eggs to the bowl of cold water and set aside until ready to serve.
3 Cook the noodles: Return the pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for 3 minutes, or according to the package directions, until tender. Drain in a colander.
4 Assemble the soup: Divide the noodles among 4 large bowls. Ladle the broth and vegetables over the noodles.
Remove the eggs from the ice water. Tap the shells with a spoon to crack and then peel off the shells. Pat the eggs dry and cut them in half.
Top each bowl with the egg halves and the sliced chicken. Serve with soy sauce, hot sauce, cilantro leaves and lime wedges.