Is it that time of year yet for hearty soups?
Maybe, maybe not.
In any case, this one is a family favorite, combining a potpourri of colorful vegetables with the creamy texture of white beans.
White Bean and Vegetable Soup
- 2 15-oz cans cannellini or white kidney beans (or 1/2 lb dried beans, soaked overnight in water), drained
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 head of green cabbage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 cups (or more) vegetable stock
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
Cook onions, with thyme and garlic
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes.
Add green cabbage, tomatoes, celery, and carrots
Sauté 10 minutes.
Add beans, 5 cups of stock, potatoes, and basil
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for one hour.
Add red cabbage and zucchini. Add salt
Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes longer.
To serve, stir in the cheese. Sprinkle in a dash of Tabasco hot sauce if you want to give the soup a little zip.
Serve with ground pepper and bread.