Is it that time of year yet for hearty soups?
Maybe, maybe not.
In any case, this one is a family favorite, combining a potpourri of colorful vegetables with the creamy texture of white beans.
White Bean and Vegetable Soup
- 2 15-oz cans cannellini or white kidney beans (or 1/2 lb dried beans, soaked overnight in water), drained
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 head of green cabbage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 cups (or more) vegetable stock
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
Cook onions, with thyme and garlic:
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes.
Add green cabbage, tomatoes, celery, and carrots:
Sauté 10 minutes.
Add beans, 5 cups of stock, potatoes, and basil:
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for one hour.
Add red cabbage and zucchini. Add salt:
Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes longer.
To serve, stir in the cheese. Sprinkle in a dash of Tabasco hot sauce if you want to give the soup a little zip.
Serve with ground pepper and bread.