- Author of 11 cookbooks, including The Whole Grain Promise (Running Press), Great Bowls of Food; Grain Bowls, Buddha Bowls, Broth Bowls and More (Countryman Press), and more.
- Featured in Fine Cooking, Real Food Magazine, Clean Eating Magazine, Vegetarian Times, allrecipes.com, southernliving.com, thekitchn.com, simplyrecipes.com, and others.
- One of Minnesota Star Tribune's Taste 50, a list of influential women in food in 2015.
Chef Asbell is the author of 11 cookbooks and hundreds of articles, focusing on plant-forward, global foods. She has a talent for communicating about food and cooking. Asbell’s in-demand recipes make the most of texture, flavor and aroma while nourishing the body. In her culinary classes, she shares her abiding love of satisfying flavors, and a sense of humor and fun. She also works as a private chef, creating customized meals for families.
Asbell wrote for the Minnesota Star Tribune with her Meatless Meals column for several years. She has written for Experience Life Magazine, Fine Cooking, Better Homes and Gardens, Real Food Magazine, Clean Eating Magazine, VegNews, Vegetarian Times, Mother Earth News, and other print media, and online for strongertogether.coop, myfitnesspal.com, allrecipes.com, southernliving.com, thekitchn.com, simplyrecipes.com and others. The Minneapolis Star Tribune named her one of their Taste 50, a list of the most influential women in food in 2015.
Before starting her food writing career, Chef Asbell worked her way through several restaurant kitchens and bakeries, and honed a talent for recipe development that landed her the job of Head Chef at The Wedge Community Coop in the 1990's. Working with whole foods, she created popular dishes and wrote recipes that allowed workers to serve consistently delicious and profitable food.
Prolific Cookbook Author
• Vegan Meal Prep; A 5-Week Plan With 125 Ready-To-Go Recipes (Robert Rose)
• 300 Best Blender Recipes Using Your Vitamix (Robert Rose),
• Plant Based Meats; High Protein, Hearty Recipes for Vegans, Vegetarians, and Curious Carnivores (Countryman Press)
• Great Bowls of Food; Grain Bowls, Buddha Bowls, Broth Bowls and More (Countryman Press)
• The Whole Grain Promise (Running Press)
• Gluten Free Pasta, More Than 100 Fast and Flavorful Recipes with No-and Low-Carb Options (Running Press),
• Juice It! Energizing Juices for All Times of Day (Chronicle Books)
• Big Vegan, More Than 350 Recipes No Meat No Dairy All Delicious (Chronicle Books),
• Sweet and Easy Vegan, Treats Made with Whole Grains and Natural Sweeteners (Chronicle Books)
• The New Vegetarian, More Than 75 Fresh, Contemporary Recipes For Pasta, Tagines, Curries, Soups &Stews and Desserts (Chronicle Books)
• The New Whole Grains Cookbook, Terrific Recipes Using Farro, Quinoa, Brown Rice, Barley, and Many Other Delicious and Nutritious Grains (Chronicle Books)
Freelance Food Writer and Content Creator
• Hundreds of articles, recipes and photos, published since 1995
• Recipes developed for corporate clients including Bob's Red Mill, Quaker Oats, US Apple Growers, and more.
• Asbell appears regularly on KSTP's popular Twin Cities Live show, demonstrating simple plant-forward dishes. She's done cooking demos on Kare 11, WCCO and other television stations as well.
Encouragement in the kitchen: "You're never alone in the kitchen - every ingredient brings the energy of all the people who grew and processed it, and they are cheering you on!"
About Simply Recipes
Simply Recipes, a Dotdash brand, is here to help you cook delicious meals with less stress and more joy, offering recipes and cooking advice for home cooks, by home cooks. We have more than 3000 tested recipes, guides, and meal plans, and draw over 15 million readers each month. Learn more about us and our editorial process.