Buffalo chicken wings are one of my favorite snacks, but in the summer they aren’t the first thing I want to make.
I want to be outside with the grill going rather than huddled over a deep fryer! These Spicy Buffalo Chicken Burgers allow me have the best of both worlds: Buffalo chicken flavor done on the grill! YUM!
What is a Buffalo Chicken Burger?
The basics of this burger are simple—it starts off with ground chicken which is very lean.
To make sure the burgers don’t dry out, I like to mix in some shredded celery and carrot which complements that classic buffalo sauce flavor combo. I also add some hot sauce straight to the patties for some extra flavor!
Grill them up and serve them on a toasted bun with blue cheese sauce and they are an instant summer classic!
Tips for Grilling Juicy Chicken Burgers
Believe it or not it is possible to grill a juicy chicken burger. You just need to pay attention to a few minor details. I always take extra care not to overcook the chicken and add ingredients to keep the meat moist.
- You don’t want to overcook your chicken burgers. Use a thermometer and cook to an internal temperature of 165˚F.
- To keep the burgers from sticking you should be using a pretty high heat grill and rubbing the grates with some oil before you start grilling. It’ll also ensure that you get a nice crust and some grill marks on the patties. Flip them once halfway through cooking.
- For these Buffalo Chicken Burgers, the addition of some carrot and celery also helps retain some moisture in the burgers and keep them moist.
- Here is a guide on how to grill the best burgers which covers everything from methods of mixing to grilling and shaping.
Best Way to Top a Spicy Buffalo Burger
The burgers themselves are delicious and I would stick to the recipe as is, but feel free to change up the toppings! Here are a few ideas:
- Blue cheese and sauteed mushrooms
- Crispy fried jalapenos and ripe avocado slices
- Shredded celery and carrot slaw
- Crispy bacon with ripe tomato
Can You Make These in Advance?
You can absolutely make the patties a day in advance with no problems. They hold together well in the fridge. Make the patties, place them in a single layer on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Toss them on the grill when ready.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Burgers
I like serving these burgers with a big side of chopped celery and carrots to kill the heat of the burgers. You could also serve them with a great side salad or even something like curly fries!
Spicy Buffalo Chicken Burgers
Make the blue cheese sauce before you assemble and grill your burgers. The sauce can be made up to a week in advance and be stored in the fridge. Make a double batch if you’d like and dip it in veggies or drizzle it over steak, too.
- For the burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons grated celery
- 2 tablespoons Franks hot sauce, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- To serve
- 4 potato hamburger
- Butter lettuce
- Blue Cheese Sauce
Form the burgers:
In a large bowl combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, carrots, celery, hot sauce, salt, garlic, and black pepper. Shape mixture into four evenly-sized patties. They should be about 1/2-inch thick.
Preheat the grill and rub with oil:
Preheat the grill for direct heat grilling, by turning gas burners to medium-high or spreading charcoal coals so there is direct heat under the grilling grates. The temperature should be 450-500˚F.
To make sure the burgers do not stick, dip a kitchen towel or some paper towels in oil and use tongs to quickly rub down grill grates. Alternatively, you can spray the grates with spray oil, but be careful of flare-ups.
Grilling the burgers:
Grill the buffalo chicken burgers, about 4-5 minutes per side or until they reach at least 165˚F in the center of the burgers.
Chicken burgers are easy to overcook. The instant read thermometer really helps you find the sweet spot of fully cooked but still tender and juicy. Finished burgers will have grill marks on both sides and be firm to pressure.
Grill the buns:
Add buns to the grill next to burgers and grill for 30 seconds. Optionally, you can brush buns with a little butter or oil, but it isn’t necessary.
Serve the burgers:
Serve the burgers on grilled potato buns with butter lettuce, blue cheese sauce, and an extra splash of Franks hot sauce.
Leftovers and storage:
Leftover buffalo chicken burgers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. They reheat really well in the microwave on high for 1 minute.