This is my go-to salad for a light lunch because it doesn’t take a lot of time to make. It makes for a great side at barbecues throughout the summer. The sweet and sour tang with the refreshing crunch of cucumber is super satisfying to the palate and is a nice balance to heavier mains.
Persian Cucumbers are Best
Use Persian cucumbers because they have a crisp center and tend to be less watery than other varieties. They are also petite, matching the size of the jalapeños. There is no need to peel them or remove their seeds.
The Mandoline is Your Friend
Although a sharp chef’s knife and a cutting board is all you need to cut the cucumbers and jalapeños into very thin slices—about 1/16-inch—a mandoline is a great kitchen tool to lean on. It will help you get even slices and speed up prep time.
Quick Tips for a Quick Salad
- Use cold cucumbers, jalapeños, and cilantro straight from the fridge for a chilled salad that you can serve right away.
- The cucumbers will release some liquid naturally as they sit. This liquid is very tasty and can be used as a light dressing for salads or even over cold noodles.
Easy Substitution Ideas
This recipe is easy to tweak based on the veggies you have on hand.
- Persian Cucumber: Use thin-skinned cucumbers like English or Japanese. They are waterier. Instead of rounds, slice them thinly into half-moon or quarters so that they are about the width of the sliced jalapeños.
- Jalapeños: Serrano chilis are a great alternative, though you can use any fresh chilis you have around and like.
- Rice Vinegar: Use white, apple cider, or champagne vinegar.
- Agave: Replace with granulated sugar.
Cucumber Salads All Summer Long
Spicy Cucumber and Jalapeño Salad
I typically leave the seeds in the jalapeños, but if you would like it less spicy, feel free to take them out.
8 small Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/16-inch rounds (about 4 cups)
4 small jalapeños, cut into 1/16-inch rounds (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons agave syrup, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
Combine the ingredients:
In a medium bowl, combine the cucumbers, jalapeños, cilantro, rice vinegar, agave, and salt. Toss well to combine.
Taste and adjust seasoning with agave and salt as needed. Serve immediately.
Leftovers can be stored tightly covered in the fridge for 2 days. The cucumbers will lose their crispiness, but they will still be delicious.
Did you love the recipe? Leave us stars below!
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 11g|
|Vitamin C 32mg||162%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|