Welcome to The Friday Buzz, our roundup of all good things, good advice, good feelings. It’s the happy hour of blog posts! Up this week: All the s’mores, coolest drinks around, good reads, and more!
Greetings from the desert! I have left the plush land of Oregon and have traveled to Utah where I’ll be spending the next week with extended family. Traveling 14 hours in a car with little ones always proves to be a challenge, but we made it in one piece AND with everyone smiling. Whoa.
In the eight years I’ve been making this road trip, this was one of the smoothest rides…. what does this translate to? I’m basically walking on sunshine right now!
The Simply Recipes Team also has some favorites they’d like to share with you all that have had them walking on sunshine… let’s take a look at what they are, shall we?
OUR FAVORITES FROM THE WEEK
- First you take the graham… I had my first s’more of the season and simply couldn’t eat it without reciting this classic scene from “The Sandlot.” Please tell me I’m not the only one who loves that scene!
- Coolest drinks around: Summer makes switchel and agua fresca every year for the 4th. They will cool you off in a jiffy, AND vodka can easily be added making them perfect for both drinkers and non-drinkers!
- More drinks, comin’ up! This drink from our friend The Self-Proclaimed Foodie has Emma’s name written allllll over it.
- I dream of tahini: Ever made brownies with tahini? That’s exactly what Megan plans on making for her festivities on the 4th.
- Life is BREWTIFUL: Andy is going to try his hand at brewing a Watermelon Saison inspired by this book written from our very own Emma!
- Shout it loud! Special shout out to our sister company Serious Eats and Ed Levine on his new book!
THIS WEEK ON INSTAGRAM
Heavy debate going on what you call these bars. Are they 7-Layer Bars, Magic Bars, or Hello Dollies? Or in the words of Irvin, “Just call them GONE, because that’s what happens every time I make them!” I’d love to hear what you call them! Tell me here.
READER COMMENT OF THE WEEK
We always manage to receive the best reviews on our Banana Bread, but this one from Raynette gave me the giggles:
This is the easiest recipe ever, my husband couldn’t wait for it to finish as the smell had him counting the time. The aftermath: my family almost ate their fingers.
WOW. They must have really loved that banana bread!
Cheers to celebrating the 4th of July! Wherever you are, have a sparkling one.