Welcome to The Friday Buzz, our roundup of all good things, good advice, good feelings. It’s the happy hour of blog posts! Up this week: Cake for Breakfast, Baking Tennis Shoes, and Cooking with Kids!
Hey-oh! I hope everyone enjoyed their marvelous weekend and our short week! We had a fantastic time celebrating Memorial Day with good friends, which was briefly interrupted by a torrential 20-minute downpour. But being the Portlanders that we are, it didn’t hold us back! The kids still got on their swimming suits and jumped on the trampoline in the rain.
Wherever you are, I hope you were able to make the most of your weekend as well!
OUR FAVORITES FROM THE WEEK
- Cake for breakfast! Lots of water cooler talk within the Simply Recipes Team this week that revolved around CAKE! Specifically eating cake for breakfast!
Emma’s choice: Marmalade cake
Carrie’s choice: Pistachio bundt cake
Summer’s choice: Chocolate cake
- Too hot to handle: Bulky hot pads are a thing of the past! I recently bought some silicone hot pads and love that they don’t take up a ton of space. Added bonus: They’re great for opening up stubborn pickle jars.
- This bread is bananas! Emma made (yet another) batch of our banana bread, and remembered (yet again) how much she loves it. If it’s been a while since you last made banana bread, I highly recommend treating yourself to a batch!
- Cooking with kids! Up for a fun cooking adventure with your kids? Check out Little Sous! One of Emma’s friends, Megan Splawn from The Kitchn, has been sharing her daughter’s recent adventures cooking from this kit on Instagram and it looks like so much fun.
- Bob’s Better Bars: Carrie may have a *teensy weensy* crush on these new bars from Bob’s Red Mill.
- Baguettes and baking shoes… I’m trying to decide if I want to snuggle up with a baguette pillow or walk 500 miles in these sweet baking shoes… Decisions, decisions!
MEANWHILE ON INSTAGRAM
Apparently strawberries + cream ALWAYS belong together… especially on a fresh, summer pie! We got quite a few responses as to how anyone could even fathom eating juicy strawberry pie without cream! It was a fun little convo, which you can catch up on here.
READER COMMENT OF THE WEEK
Did you know that I have the privilege of reading each and every comment that comes through our site? I love reading what you all have to say, and the tips and tricks you share with us! This comment about our Paprika Chicken with Chickpeas really made my day!
I made this recipe for my family of 10 and then made it again the next week. The second time I served it my four year old yelled, “We should eat this every day!” The other 7 children started cheering. It is very rare that food is met with literal cheering. Kudos for a phenomenal recipe. I added an extra half an onion the second time because the onions are just crazy amazing.
Wow! A dinner that a whole family of 10 loves? #winning
Cheers to another glorious weekend! Wishing you all a million rays of sunshine.
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.