Welcome to The Friday Buzz, our roundup of all good things, good advice, good feelings. It’s the happy hour of blog posts! Up this week… Carpool Karaoke, Cauliflower Hot Cereal, P is for Pterodactyl, and so much more!
I went shopping the other day and saw that sweaters are starting to hit the clothing racks. SWEATERS. I don’t even know how I feel about that right now!
Part of me wants to hang onto every last bit of my lazy summer schedule and the freedom it brings, but there’s a part of me that just really loves the changing of the seasons. I can’t put my finger on it, but I love the vibrant colors of the trees and the smells of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies baking.
Speaking of pumpkin, when do you start busting out all the pumpkin recipes? I have a pretty strict rule about not doing anything pumpkin until after September 1st. Kind of like how I refuse to put up any Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving. I just can’t do it. Please tell me I’m not the only one!
Okay, now that I’m all worked up about all the things, I’m going to take a breather and tell you about all the things the Simply Recipes team loved this week.
OUR ABSOLUTE FAVORITES FROM THE WEEK
- Mug shot: Summer is literally obsessed with this mug and it’s not hard to see why!
- Knowledge for college! Got a kid heading off to college or living on their own for the first time? This book by Katie Morford is the one Emma wishes she’d had when she was heading off to school!
- P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever… Honestly one of the funniest kids books I’ve ever read…. and I’ve read a lot of kid books.
- Reverse video: We found this reverse video of our “How to Poach an Egg” and it’s MESMERIZING to watch.
- Carpool Karaoke: Ever watched it? You know, where James Corden sings in the car with famous people? It’s fantastic. We love the one with Adele and Paul McCartney best.
- Cauliflower Hot Cereal: Megan spotted this new hot cereal from Purely Elizabeth made with, yes, CAULIFLOWER! She’s totally intrigued. Has anyone tried it?
MEANWHILE ON THE INSTAGRAM FEED
Lots of discussions around what veggies you did NOT grow up eating. I didn’t have zucchini until I was married and I’ll be honest, zucchini bread is still a little foreign to me! Some veggies our readers never had were:
- Brussels sprouts
Anything you’d like to add? Check it out here!
READER COMMENT OF THE WEEK
A few of our readers have left comments on our pie crusts but this one from Martha on our No-Fail, Sour Cream Crust takes the cake… errr takes the pie?
Found this recipe a year ago and it’s the only one I use now. I probably make this pie crust at least once a week. The crust turns out fantastic every time. Such a forgiving, tasty pie crust. Freezes great too. Love it when making chicken pot pie, cherry pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and blueberry pie. Pretty much every fruit in season I use it. So very happy I found this recipe. Definitely FAIL proof.
Keep on baking those pie crusts, Martha! Woot!
Cheers to another glorious week!