Welcome to The Friday Buzz, our roundup of all good things, good advice, good feelings. It’s the happy hour of blog posts!
I can’t believe it’s May already. WHAT IN THE WORLD. Cinco de Mayo is on Sunday, and then Mother’s Day is just around the corner… then it’s Memorial Day, then the 4th of July, then it’s practically Thanksgiving again. At the rate time is flying by, we should probably just start talking resolutions for 2020!
Just kidding. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, and let’s dish about all the juicy gossip of what the Simply Recipes Team is loving this week.
Our Favorites from the Week
- Music! Since we all work remotely from home, music is a constant for us. You’ll find Emma movin’ and groovin’ to Lizzo’s new album, The Civil Wars have Summer swaying to and fro, and I’m going to see Keith Urban for the 4th of July, so I’ve been listening to him 24/7.
- Books! Emma just finished this book on why home cooking won’t solve our problems… and it’s given her a lot to think about. Meanwhile, Summer has been reading and the Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. She’s only a few pages in, but totally digging it.
- Disco Party Dishwashing: When my family cleans up dinner (yes, it’s a family affair), we pump up the jams and have a disco party! I just ordered these disco lights and they’ve been a huge hit. By the way, do you have a Google Home or an Alexa?
- The Best Clumpy Granola: Want to know the best part of granola? The clumps. The chunky bits. Carrie doesn’t like granola that isn’t going to stand up to grabbing it by the handful or giving her a good crunch with yogurt. Amen, sistah. Amen.
- Fan Girling on Bon Appetit: And speaking of granola… did you know you can make granola with ingredients made entirely from the BULK BIN SECTION?! Whoa. Game changer. Bon Appetit’s Carla Lalli Music shows us how in this video and we couldn’t love her more! PS Emma is a huge fan girl.
- Mother’s Day Gift Ideas! Need some gift ideas for Mother’s Day? Summer recommends a bench scraper, Emma recommends her favorite towels from Crate & Barrel (she’s searched high and low and these are now her towels for LIFE), and you simply can’t go wrong with jewelry! If your mom is on the creative side, I think she’d love this instant camera. It’s a little bit retro and a whole lot of fun! My husband and kids got me this robot vacuum last year, and I was less than amused. HOWEVER… it has actually become my favorite gift of all time!
Meanwhile on Instagram…
We asked our readers what brought a smiled to their face this week and here are some of their answers:
- “Paying $0.50 for over a dozen ripe bananas.” SCORE.
- “My newborn grandson; he looks like a miniature of his grandpa, my husband!” ISN’T THAT THE SWEETEST?
- “My mom gave me a surprise visit.” THAT’S SIMPLY THE BEST.
Reader Comment of the Week!
Our comment of the week came from our reader, Audrey, who had this to say about our Pineapple Upside Down Cake:
“My mother always made pineapple upside down cake for Easter. So I wanted to start the tradition again and scoured the internet for a recipe candidate. Yours won for a test run because of the dark brown sugar. This was the best pineapple upside down cake I have ever had. The addition of almond flour gave the cake more body and denseness. Love the flavor it added also. The dark brown sugar definitely made the caramel portion have a great depth of flavor! It disappeared from the table in minutes!”
Knowing that she was able to continue the tradition of what her mother started was our little drop of sunshine this week!
Before I leave you for next time, I wanted to send you off with the most ADORABLE HEDGEHOG video! Admit it, you totally want one now!
What little bits of life have made you smile this week? We’re always looking for new and fun things to talk about. #gossipqueens I’d love for you to share and I may just add it to our next addition of The Friday Buzz.
Cheers to the weekend!
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.