Welcome to The Friday Buzz, our roundup of all good things, good advice, good feelings. It’s the happy hour of blog posts (and the last one of the year)! Up this week: Cherished holiday memories, Snoop Dogg and Martha get together for a re-enactment, and a few feel good songs because we love all of you.
Fact: The buzz about Y2K was happening 20 years ago! TWENTY YEARS AGO. (Thanks, Summer Miller, for the reminder. Ha!) When she brought it up, I think we all kind of fainted a little and thought How is this even possible?! Yeesh!
Now, I’m going to date myself, but I was a junior in high school, so I didn’t fully grasp why everyone was freaking out about because all I cared about was making sure I was dressed to the nines for my New Year’s Eve party. I do remember my dad saying something about it since he works with computers and was nervous about it.
Fast forward twenty years, and I’m trying to explain Y2K to my kids. In my mind, I’m giving them this fascinating history lesson and I’m this all-knowing intellectual who actually lived through the turn of the century, but in reality they’re looking at me like I’m a *leetle* bit crazy. Then it hits me… that’s the same way I looked at my Dad when he tried talking to me about it. Huh. Funny how life comes full circle, isn’t it?
Now let’s go full circle and see what the Simply Recipes team had on their minds this week…
OUR FAVES FROM THE WEEK
- Who’s ready to partay? Summer wants to wish everyone a Happy New Year with this epic compilation and also with this moving re-enactment of the famous pottery scene from Ghost.
- Offspring – Speaking of the past, this song brings Andy back to middle school.
- Freeze the Day – If by chance you have any soup leftover, this is Emma’s fave way to freeze it.
- Snowblower City – Andy wants to announce to all the interwebz that he has joined Team Snowblower, and it’s glorious.
- And just in case anyone out there needs it… EVERYTHING IS AWESOME. Thanks for that reminder, Emma. :)
MEANWHILE ON THE INSTAGRAM
We gave away some gift boxes on our IG Stories and asked readers what they love most about this time of year. Readers said:
- Sharing food and time with loved ones.
- Baking for friends and family (with recipes from Simply Recipes, obvi.)
- Snow and lights of all kinds… candles, stars, trees all aglow.
- Days off! Which means extra morning cuddles in bed with kids.
- The generosity of people towards those in need.
- Cookies! #nomnomnom
- Holiday flavors like gingerbread and peppermint (but not together).
- Watching the eyes of friends and family light up when delicious goodies are gifted.
- Snuggling under a warm blanket by the fire when it’s cold outside.
- The fragrance… in the air, in the kitchen, at the evergreen nursery.
For a brief moment we were able to see the holidays through your eyes and we loved it! And just a heads up, we will be doing some fun things on Instagram during January, so come follow us and join in all the fun!
READER COMMENT OF THE WEEK
Since we’ve been consuming crazy amounts of cookies this holiday season, this comment from Bill on our Oatmeal Raisin Cookies really made us jolly! Here’s what he had to say:
Great recipe. Will never use a store cookie kit again. My first time from scratch, Wonderful results and everyone liked them. Thanks for making my day. I did add the walnuts.
It’s hard to believe that we’re buzzing into 2020, but CHEERS TO A NEW YEAR!