Welcome to The Friday Buzz, our roundup of all good things, good advice, good feelings. It’s the happy hour of blog posts! Up this week: Discussions on Nutella and Cookie Butter, Near Beer, Flannel Fridays, and more!
Can we talk about Target for a minute? I’m pretty sure I’m not alone when I say that my obsession for that store runs deep. I go almost weekly just to browse through everything… and, if I’m being really honest with all of you, it’s a great way to keep my twins strapped into their stroller so I can have a moment of sanity. I digress.
It really is a fabulous store filled with all sorts of treasures, and the best treasures can be found on their end aisles with that happy yellow sticker that screams CLEARANCE! I’ve been known to exclusively shop their end aisles for amazing deals. A few years back I scored not one, but TWO matching pink quilts for my girls for $7.50 each! #score
I won’t go into all the things I’ve found there that make my soul sing, but I will tell you to run to your nearest Target and check out their Bullseye Playground, which is their dollar section. It’s overflowing with cute stuff for Halloween and fall! Anyone out there have a favorite Target find? I’d love to hear about it!
Now, let’s see what makes the souls of the Simply Recipes Team sing, shall we?
OUR FAVORITES FROM THE WEEK
- Sunny mountain meadows: Emma knows in her heart of hearts that she should be jumping on the pumpkin and spice bandwagon, but she couldn’t resist this soap. She said it’s like walking through a sunny mountain meadow filled with flowers and she loves it.
- Sugar Rush: The whole team came to an unanimous agreement that Nutella and Biscoff Cookie Butter are LIFE.
- Mum’s the word: Summer planted a bunch of mums in her garden this week. BRING ON FALL, Y’ALL!
- Best-Ever Near Beer! Emma has been diving into the world of non-alcoholic beers and this is her new fave. It actually tastes like beer! #dontstopbeerlieving
- Stop.. It’s flannel time! Andy has now determined that it’s flannel season. Too bad we all work remotely, otherwise Flannel Friday would totally be a thing among our team!
- Pumpkin Love: Claudia is obsessed with mini suede pumpkins. She may or may not have bought 15 of them from Target’s dollar section…
THIS WEEK ON INSTAGRAM
Beef Brisket Pot Roast is coming in hot! I think it means we are all ready for comfort food… What are your thoughts? We asked what all y’all would serve with this pot roast and loved reading everyone’s answers!
Potatoes were a clear winner with a ton of variations! They included:
- Yukon Gold Potato Salad
- Potato latkes with applesauce
- Pan baked potatoes with brown butter
- Roasted garlic mashed potatoes (this was a popular answer)
- Mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, and a slice of chocolate cake
- Roasted garlic potatoes and skillet corn
- Horseradish mashed potatoes
Head on over to weigh in!
READER COMMENT OF THE WEEK
We had two comments that really just brightened our day! The first was left on our Chicken and Dumplings from Jon. He said:
I wouldn’t describe my roommate or myself as enthusiastic about cooking meals, but we like to eat, and supper time happens, so we cook stuff. Your recipes are consistently flavorful without being a pain in the neck. This was superb, exactly what I was hoping for. Kudos to you, my friend.
Then Gene commented on our Banana Nut Muffins:
My husband is the expert baker but today I had the determination to not waste two very ripe bananas, and more time than he. I am a new baker but the clear instructions, non-requirement of a mixer and inclusion of coffee attracted me to this recipe. Followed directions to the letter, I used 3/4 cup cane sugar, strong Nespresso machine made coffee and 1/2 cup each of pecan pieces and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Used the bounce back doneness test and the clean toothpick too and took them out at just the right time, 2 mins after the initial checking. They are everything I hoped they’d be, and he strongly approves. Taking the batch on my weeklong trip to WDW for breakfast on the go and snacks but I fear there won’t be any left after day one! They are simply fantastic— thank you! I feel as though I can become a baker — with time, with this recipe completion launch!
Oh yeah, that’s what we like to hear! Keep it up, Gene!
Cheers to the weekend, my fine friends!
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.