Welcome to One Simply Terrific Thing, our ongoing series highlighting the small tools and kitchen goods that make life better!
At the top of my “how did I ever live without this?” list is one of those small, unassuming kitchen tools that makes you think Oh man, I love this thing every time you use it.
It’s an instant-read thermometer, but seriously the best one out there: the Thermapen by Thermoworks.
When you need the internal temperature of something you’re cooking — how’s the chicken doing? Is the steak done? Is the chocolate up to temperature? — speed and accuracy is everything. The Mk4 Thermapen ($79 right now, usually $99!) gives you a temperature reading within 2 seconds. That means you can get that roast chicken back in the oven pronto before it cools down any more!
Other things I love about the Thermapen:
- There’s no fidgeting with an “on” button and waiting for it to be ready; just open the probe and stick it in!
- Hold it in any orientation and it will alter the display so the temp always reads right-side-up.
- It has an automatic backlight so you can take temps in the dark (late-night BBQ, anyone?).
- It’s always on when you’re using it, goes into sleep mode when you set it down, and automatically turns back on when you pick it up.
- The battery (AAA) lasts forever. I don’t even think I’ve changed mine yet.
- Did I mention it tells you the temperature almost instantly?
I keep ours in a drawer right next to the stove, since I am constantly reaching for it. I love how easy it is it to use, and that it takes the guesswork out of cooking meat.
Cheers to good tools!
“Product and Lifestyle Director
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.